Tuesday, February 8, 7pm (PT)
Book Group Discussion
Altadena Public Libraries
Saturday, November 27, 12:30-2:15 p.m.
Book signing and author event
La Canada-Flintridge, California
Sunday, June 19, 3:30 pm (PDT)
Mount Saint Mary’s University
Los Angeles, California
The Good Men Project
Posts from One in a Billion about An Wei in dififcult situations
Also on Facebook, Instagram, Medium and other platforms
1. Tuesday, January 25, 2022. What American Men Can Learn from One Chinese Peasant
2. Tuesday, February 22, 2022 An Wei: From Chinese Peasant to Powerful Role Model
3. Tuesday, March 22, 2022 One Man versus Corrupt Officials.
The Museum of Teaching and Learning (MOTAL)
Countryside education during the early years of modern China.
1. Saturday, February 25, 2022. An Wei’s elementary education in a poor school in the middle of rural China.
2.Tuesday, May 17, 2022. An Wei in Junior High School, Fufeng, China
3. August 2, 2022. An Wei’s struggle to attend high school and to study hard as hunger loomed.
4. An Wei’s educational journey continued as starvation closed in and exam pressures mounted. Date to be announced.
Past Events: Recordings
How do I get in touch with you?
My email is email@example.com My assistant or I will answer you as quickly as possible.
Are you available for the following dates for a presentation?
Please be as specific as you can, with the date and time, plus location and whether it is on-line or in person. Also, please include the type of venue (library or university presentation, discussion, interview or other). With that information, I can engage in a discussion with you about what would be best for you. If you would just like to explore possibilities, give us as much information as you can.
What topics do you speak on?
I do presentations about the following, for my recent book, One in a Billion: One Man’s Remarkable Odyssey through Modern-Day China:
– An Wei and village life plus his challenging life during the development of modern China
– An Wei’s life as it weaves together with the accomplishments and disasters of modern China’s development, beginning with the launch of the People’s Republic of China followed by its rapid development into the 21st century.
– My journey of changing from an academic writer to a narrative author and what compelled me to spend 15 years bringing One and a Billion to print.
I also give presentations on my book, Educating Young Giants: What Kids Learn (and Don’t Learn) in China and America. It compares education in the two countries and suggests ways we can both improve.
Do I meet with book groups?
Yes! I find them very enjoyable as we often have very fruitful discussions about both An Wei’s life and also what it was like to write One in a Billion. Either in person or on-line works well. Also, my publisher offers a 40% discount to members of non-commercial book groups.
Past Event Archive
This archive contains a list of all past events for One in a Billion, with links when they are available. Also included is an archive of most pre-2021 events. Past Event Archive